Thursday, June 20, 2013

Falling off the Wagon.

It's been a while since I've posted and, I'm sure you can all figure out why that was... I fell off of the wagon. I know, I know! That's not something I should be doing.

I need to buckle down and get serious!

Well, I have. I went back to my PCOS doctor in May and restarted all of the medications that I've been failing to take - shame, shame on me. Yes, yes, I know. We did some lab work and I was, admittedly, terrified for what the results would be. When we got them back, they weren't as bad as I had feared they would be but they certainly what they should have been and that's a scary thing. My testosterone level was really elevated, which we - the doctor and I - knew it would be. But, scarier than that, was the fact that my cholesterol was elevated. By 3 points but still, that's a lot. I don't want it to be elevated. I like it to be in the nice safe mid range. The fact that it wasn't has really lit a fire under my bum.

With all of that said, here's what I'm doing about it:

Exercising - As much as I hate it, I know it's what's going to get my weight down and my cholesterol down. My friend Amy found a really awesome youtube video. It's 'Walk a Mile at Home' and I'm good with that. It's too hot to walk it outside. Me no likey the buggies.

Eating Healthy - If I have to see another salad, I'm going to vomit. No, just kidding. I know that salad isn't the only way to go but it's easiest to have for lunch and so I'm working on making it exciting.

Taking Care of Myself - Taking my medicine regularly and consistently.

Cutting Back on Sugar - I've been drinking a craptastic load of water, instead of other beverages. I've even discovered a 'diet soda' called Waist Watchers that's made with Splenda. It's good. I drink one a week. Maybe. I'm not going to say I've given it up completely because I haven't (As discussed before, I'm a chocolate-aholoc. I don't see that changing any time in the near or distant future.)

(Trying to) Get More Sleep - As discussed with my doctor, some of the side effects of the medications I'm taking are anxiety, inability to focus, (mild) insomnia and nausea/dizziness. It seems to hit me the most at night when I'm settling in to sleep but I have a good bit of the anxiety and inability to focus during the day. I feel like a cat with the infamous Red Dot. "I'm going to get you Red Dot! Some day, some time! I will find you!!!!!!! .... Oh, shineeeeey." Seriously, this is what the inside of my brain feels like 94% of the time recently. No fun. But the medications are doing their jobs and I want to be healthy(-er) than I am now so we'll stick with it and see where we get from here.

I had an appointment with my Endocrinologist this morning, Dr. W. Evans. He's wonderful and I really enjoy seeing him. He went about his measuring and weighing me this morning and, much to my surprise, I've lost 3cm around my middle - which is where people with PCOS want the loss to come from - and a grand total of 10lbs! That's wonderful for me! 10lbs in 7 weeks! That works out to 1.4 pounds a week and most doctors say that 1-2 pounds a weeks is the safest way to lose. Well, I'm almost smack-dab in the middle of that and I'm really happy with it.

While my goal of losing 50lbs by October doesn't seem possible now, I could probably hit 20lbs off by then and I'm okay with that. My 50lbs wasn't really reachable, anyway, not with my affair so I'll content myself with being -20. If that happens, I will be more than happy.

Until next time, remember that if you fall off of the wagon, run after it flailing. You'll catch up eventually.

Best,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment