Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Negatives of the Plus Side

Why is it that PLUS is always a good thing, unless it's to do with weight?

You know, when you're at a restaurant and you're looking at the menu you see:

1 appetizer, 2 entrees PLUS a dessert for ??.??!!!!

You're all excited! ??.?? for all of that food PLUS some chocolate! OMG YES.

Or

When you're shopping in your favorite store you see:

50% OFF PLUS! an extra 25% OFF the LOWEST marked PRICE!

You know you're all excited, don't even try to deny it. It thrills me. I got a 50$ dress for 8$ at one of those Plus Sales. Can you say score? Say it with me: SCORE!

Those are only two examples but I'm sure there are loads more. The point is, why is all of that good but then when you're shopping, and you're like me, you have to go into the PLUS SECTION. There should be cupcakes handed out if I have to have a special section. No, it doesn't make me feel special, it makes me feel abnormal and unwanted. The reject of the family. Effe you, stores. (Except Maurice's cause you're my fave.)

And since when is size 14 a PLUS size? Are you kidding me? Last time I checked an 18 was PLUS. I think people are doing that to scare kids into being healthy. If no one keeps an eye on that, it's going to be that a size 8 is a PLUS size and everyone else is normal. Way to go, modeling agencies. If your so called 'It Girls' weren't a size -10, I think we'd be alright. It's not healthy if I can count your ribs. Or your vertebrae. And OMG, WHAT IS THAT? Oh, your liver? That's cool.

Before we know it, we're going to be seeing people's food moving through their bowels. Seriously, it might be gross to think about but it's going to happen if we're not careful with what we consider 'normal' or 'attractive' when it comes to weight. It's something I'll never understand about models. They're supposed to be showing us what the clothes for the new season, or whatever, will look like. But, no one really looks like that. You might as well put the clothes on a stick figure and flounce it down the runway, it'll probably look the same. Seriously.

Furthermore... Stores, if you're going to have a PLUS section, you need to cut your clothes for a bigger girl. Don't just make it a bigger size. Chances are, if a girl weighs more, her hips and thighs are not going to be shaped the same way a girl who weighs 25lbs less thighs are shaped. For example, Old Navy - I love their clothes sometimes but... I tried a shirt on in there that was supposed to be a XL and I swear it could have fit someone who wears a M. I'm not even kidding. Don't just add a little more fabric, change the way you design the clothing.

Maurices, mentioned above, actually does a wonderful job with the cut of their clothes. The only issue I've ever had with their clothes are the jeans. Their dress pants, skirts, shirts and blazers fit like a dream - I don't feel PLUS sized in them. I feel confident and like I look good. It's how you're supposed to feel when you wear clothes, not like you're crammed into a shirt 4 sizes too small. Also, Maruices' shoes are really comfortable. I have four pair of their shoes and I love them all. In fact, I'm doing a really good job of replacing my entire closet with clothes from that store. You can find a link to the wonderful site here!

You should all go there and shop because they're having a BOGO sale. I love sales.

Until next time, remember that there's always a plus side.
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment