Thursday, January 10, 2013

Red Curry with Tofu

As I posted previously, I'm not a very domesticated person and part of my New Years resolution is to learn to cook. Working where I do, being overweight is a little awkward. I work at a 'Fitness Clinic' for kids and whenever I meet the families, I feel like they're looking at me going, "Really? You work here?" It's not an awesome feeling so I'm going to change it.

I know I shouldn't let how I think other people are percieving me have an effect on me but sometimes you just cant help it. One of the first things I've made since deciding I'm going to start cooking more is Red Curry with Tofu. My friend Angie is a registered dietitian and she makes all of these delicious-looking foods that are really healthy. Red Curry is one of them.

Ingredients you'll need if you decide to attempt:
3 or 4 Medium Onions (More or less, depending on how much you like)
4 Medium Squash
2 Medium Zucchini
1 Large Red Pepper
1 Large Orange Pepper
1 Large Yellow Pepper
2 or 3 Garlic Cloves
1 or 2 Cartons of Extra Firm Tofu
Olive Oil Spray
Sea Salt
Pepper
Red Curry Paste - I like Thai Kitchen
Sriracha Chili Sauce - I like Thai Kitchen
1 Can of Coconut Milk (13.7floz) - I like Thai Kitchen
1 Large Carton of Fat Free, Low Sodium Chicken Broth - I use Swanson

Directions:

Preheat Oven to 450*.

Cut up all of your veggies, including garlic, into good sized chunks. Put them on a baking sheet and cover well with the olive oil spray. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Put them into the oven for about 10-15 minutes until they're browning up and the onions are soft. You should really be able to smell the garlic.

Ready to go into the oven:

Roasting:


Drain the water off of the tofu and gently press with a folded up paper towel until most of the moisture is gone. Cut into slices and then into bite-sized pieces. Marinate for 20-30 minutes in the Sriracha Chili Sauce. 

Marinating:


Put the marinated tofu onto a baking sheet and into the oven on 450 for 8-10 minutes until browning. Turn them and put back in for 5 minutes. It will be disgusting and you'll have wasted money. Not cool.

Coconut Milk: 


While your veggies and tofu are in the oven, pour half of your coconut milk into a large sauce pan on medium heat - make sure you shake the can well before you open it. Otherwise, you'll have milky water with some awkward white mass floating on top. IMPORTANT: DO NOT BOIL YOUR COCONUT MILK. It will be disgusting and you'll have wasted money. Not cool. When the coconut milk is simmering, add half of your jar of red curry paste and mix it into the milk. Add the rest of the coconut milk and allow to cook for 5 minutes, again without boiling. Add the entire carton of chicken broth.


Coconut Milk with Red Curry Paste simmering:


Continue to let simmer until the flavors marry.

Remove your veggies and tofu from the oven and add to your large sauce pan. Allow them to simmer on the stove for a few minutes, long enough to allow the red curry to mingle with the veggies and tofu.

Serve in bowls, grab your spoons and go!

Congratulations! You made Red Curry with Tofu! See? It's not that hard. And, it's delicious.

Finished Product:


Warming: This makes a lot and, depending on how much Sriracha sauce you put on the tofu, it can be spicy! If you don't want a whole lot, you can fix the recipe to match however much you'd like to make. If you don't like spicy food, don't use the Sriracha but the curry won't have a whole lot of flavor.

Notes: If you add a lot of veggies, you need to make sure you have sufficient liquid.

Additions: Can be served over rice. It's very good. Just, if you're on any sort of diet, beware of the type of rice. I'm a huge fan of brown rice or long grain, wild rice.

Weight Watchers Points:
Without rice: 3pts per serving (about 1.5 cups)
With white rice: 5pts per serving (about 1.5 cups of Red Curry with 1/2 cup of rice)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment